Become Private Investigator in Tennessee
Private investigators conduct surveillance, gather evidence for court cases, search for missing persons, and perform many other investigative duties within the state laws of Tennessee.
If you’d like to become a private investigator in Tennessee you will need to be licensed. In order to get your license you will have to follow a few steps.
The average salary for a private investigator in Tennessee is right around $42,000. These are the steps to become a private investigator in Tennessee.
- You must be employed by a private investigator that is already licensed. Having a college education or some other investigative skills can help you land the job. Be sure the explain that you are planning on getting your license.
- Download the license application from the Tennessee Private Investigation and Polygraph Commission.
- You will need to be fingerprinted. Call Cogent Systems at 877-262-2425.
- Fill out the application and mail it in with your fingerprints, plus the application fee which is $150.
- Take the licensing exam. The exam is administered in seven cities: Chattanooga, Clarksville, Cordova, Franklin, Knoxville, Madison and Memphis. You can register to take your test online. You will need to bring photo ID to take your test and pay the $94 test fee.
If you pass the test you will be notified, your employer will be billed a license fee and you will be a private investigator.
Department of Commerce & Insurance
Private Protective Services Division
500 James Robertson Parkway
Nashville, TN 37243-1158
State Private Investigator Association
Looking for a Private Investigator Job?
- Private Investigator Jobs in Tennessee
- Private Investigator Training Course (FREE Chapter Included!)